Become a Member
Our motto at Northern Illinois Federal Credit Union is "once a member, always a member". There is no need to close your membership with us if you retire or move away, you can still keep your membership open. Activity is needed once every 12 months to avoid dormant fees. Effective 2018, activity is needed once every three years to avoid funds being surrendered to the Illinois State Treasurer Office.
Who Can Join?
- Those who live, work, attend school or worship in:
- DeKalb county
- Lee county
- Ogle county
- Immediate family of current members
- Immediate family is defined as spouse, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step, and adoptive relations.
- Members of the same household as current members
- Household is defined as persons living in the same residence forming a single economic unit.
- DeKalb Public Library
- Illinois Association of School Business Officials
- Northern Illinois University
Benefits & Services
- Automatic Loan Payments
- Card Payments (over the phone or in person)
- Cash Advances
- Credit Cards (through Services Credit Union)
- Financial Counseling
- Gap/Depreciation Protection/Mechanical Breakdown Protection
- Gift Cards
- Insurance Discounts (through Liberty Mutual)
- Mortgage Loans (through Provisor)
- Notary Public Service
- Online Banking (App available)
- Bill Pay
- Member-to-Member transfers
- Mobile deposit
- Payroll Deductions (if your employer offers)
- Reloadable Debit Cards
- Student Loans (through a Sallie Mae)
- Surcharge-free ATMs (Allpoint / Co-Op)
- Wire Transfers
- Domestic (incoming and outgoing)
- International (outgoing only)
- Complete our Membership Application
- Bring a deposit of $25 by cash, check, or card
- Valid driver's license, state ID or passport
- Proof of current address - if different from your ID (i.e. pay stub, account statement, utility bill)
To comply with the U.S. Patriot Act, we must verify your identity before we can add you into our computer system as a member. All potential members and joint owners must be verified by a Northern Illinois Federal Credit Union staff member before joining.